Our Japchae Recipe
We love noodles, and below is our Japchae recipe. This is a great way to sneakily slide in some additional vegetables into dinner since the greens are so well integrated into the noodle dish.
Prep Time: 15 minutes, Cook Time: 15 minutes, Total Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4-6 people
16 oz sweet potato noodles
2 tablespoons oil (for cooking)
8 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz spinach
1 onion, thinly sliced
6 fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
3 small carrots, cut into thin strips
5 green onions stalks, cut into 1-inch sections
1 zucchini, cut into thin strips
8 tablespoons soy sauce
7 tablespoon sesame oil (add more to taste)
5 tablespoons sugar
- Slice all the vegetables up. Best tool to use for creating thin slices quickly is a julienne peeler, makes the work so much easier than slicing by hand!
- Mix the sauce and set aside.
- Cook the sweet potato noodles in a large pot of boiling water for about 5-6 minutes, noodles should be slightly chewy but not hard. Strain the water out and rinse the noodles under cold water. Cut the noodles immediately using a pair of scissors into about 6-inch lengths
- Add some oil to a skillet or wok and stir fry the spinach. Remove and set aside.
- Heat up some more oil in a skillet or wok and add the garlic. Then add onions and carrots and cook for about 5-8 minutes until carrots are soft. Add the green onions, mushrooms and zucchini and stir-fry for another 2-3 minutes. Turn the heat to low and add the noodles and spinach, followed by the sauce. Stir well to combine all ingredients. Add additional sesame oil to taste.